- 1 Definitions
- 1.1 European Definitions
- 1.2 Other International Definitions
- 1.3 National Definitions
- 1.4 Standard Definition
- 1.5 Other Definitions
- 2 See also
- 3 Notes
Other International Definitions
An emergency is a event in which the processes or resources of an organisation do not function as intended. The availability of the corresponding processes or resources cannot be restored in the required time frame. Business operations are seriously affected. It may be impossible to uphold any existing SLAs (Service Level Agreements). The resulting damages are high to very high and affect the annual results of a company or the ability of a government agency to fulfil its tasks so significantly that such damage is unacceptable. Emergencies cannot be handled during general daily business operations and require a special business continuity response organisation instead.
An emergency may precede or happen at the same time as a disaster.
To constitute an emergency this event or situation must require the implementation of special arrangements by one or more Category 1 responder.
- UNDHA, Disaster Management Glossary, 1992, 34
- Australian Emergency Management Glossary, Emergency Management Australia (1998)
- Multi-agency incident management, Emergency Management Australia (1998)
- [http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/mrgnc-mngmnt-frmwrk/index-eng.aspx An Emergency Management Framework for Canada (Second Edition)
- Vocabulaire de la gestion des urgencies/Emergency Management Emergency Management Vocabulary 281 (2012)
- Vocabulary of Comprehensive Security. Helsinki (TSK 47) (2014)
- Glossar und Begriffsdefinitionen BSI
- Wet Veiligheidsregio's article 1
- The New Zealand Coordinated Incident Management System, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, New Zealand. (2014)
- Singapore Standard SS 540: 2008 on Business Continuity
- Glossary - Revision to Emergency Preparedness, Cabinet Office (2012)
- http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/frp/frpappa.htm Defined in the Stafford Act
- National Incident Management Plan (core)
- ISO/PAS 22399:2007 Societal security - Guideline for incident preparedness and operational continuity management.
- Province of Ontario’s Emergency Management Glossary of Terms