Some of the definitions below may refer to Adaptation to Climate Change.
- 1 Definitions
- 2 Discussion Topic
- 3 See also
- 4 Notes
- 5 References
Adaptive capacity can be framed in many different ways; an inventory has been made by the Dutch Climate Changes Spatial Planning research programme.
The RESIN project  gives the following definition:
Other International Definitions
Adaptive capacity – Is the property of a system to adjust its characteristics or behaviour, in order toexpand its coping range under existing climate variability, or future climate conditions. The expression of adaptive capacity as actions that lead to adaptation can serve to enhance a system’s coping capacity and increase its coping range thereby reducing its vulnerability to climate hazards. 
The adaptive capacity inherent in a system represents the set of resources available for adaptation, as well as the ability or capacity of that system to use these resources effectively in the pursuit of adaptation. It is possible to
differentiate between adaptive potential, a theoretical upper boundary of responses based on global expertise and anticipated developments within the planning horizon of the assessment, and adaptive capacity that is constrained by existing information, technology and resources of the system under consideration.
United Kingdom (UK)
- ↑ European Climate Adaptation Platform, EU/EEA
- ↑ http://www.resin-cities.eu/
- ↑ Mach, K.J., S. Planton and C. von Stechow (eds.). Climate Change 2014: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Annex II: Glossary. [Core Writing Team, R.K. Pachauri and L.A. Meyer (eds.)]. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland, pp. 117-130.
- ↑ ADAPTATION TO CLIMATE CHANGE: KEY TERMS, E. Levina and D. Terpak, OECD (2006) - derived from (UNDP, 2005)
- ↑ IPCC, 2012: Glossary of terms. In: Managing the Risks of Extreme Events and Disasters to Advance Climate Change Adaptation [Field, C.B., V. Barros, T.F. Stocker, D. Qin, D.J. Dokken, K.L. Ebi, M.D. Mastrandrea, K.J. Mach, G.-K. Plattner, S.K. Allen, M. Tignor, and P.M. Midgley (eds.). A Special Report of Working Groups I and II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY, USA, pp. 555-564.]
- ↑ Combating Climate Change: The German Adaptation Strategy
- ↑ Climate Change and Community Based Adaptation Planning Training Manual, Government of Nepal (2015)
- ↑ Portal de Cambio Climático
- ↑ BASELINE CLIMATE CHANGE VULNERABILITY INDEX FOR RWANDA 2015
- ↑ The National Adaptation Programme: Making the country resilient to a changing climate, UK Government (2013)
- ↑ ADAPTATION TO CLIMATE CHANGE: KEY TERMS, E. Levina and D. Terpak, OECD (2006) - derived from UKCIP (2003)
- ↑ Preparing for a Changing Climate: Second Consultation to Inform Scotland's Climate Change Adaptation Framework
- ↑ RESIN project webpage
- ↑ IPCC, 2014: Annex II: Glossary